Here’s a list of books and links to get you started. There’s a huge universe of resources online. Be careful not to buy into the disease model of ethanol addiction; you are NOT powerless. I’ll be adding new resources often. Make sure to check out the Surf the Urge links. They’ll come in handy for sure!
I am a Naked Mind affiliate! Please order the audio program from my link!
Here’s the link the a 4-part FREE video course
and if you want to go all the way, here’s the risk-free 30-day video coaching.
- This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Rediscover Happiness & Change Your Life by Annie Grace
- Stop Drinking Now by Allen Carr
- Natural Rest for Addiction: A Revolutionary Way to Recover Through Presence by Scott Kiloby
- Kick the Drink … Easily by Jason Vale
- Mrs D Goes Without by Lotta Dann (haven’t read it but heard it’s funny and has a good blog.)
- Dry, A Memoir by the Running with Scissors guy, Augusten Burroughs.
- The Little Book of Big Change by Amy Johnson – this is a great little book that pulls it all together!
- FREE pdf of Craig Beck’s Alcohol Lied to Me
- No need to reinvent the wheel, when there’s a great list of books here at Soberistas
- Alcohol Mastery.com, Kevin O’Hara’s sane look at ethanol addiction.
- Scott Kiloby on Mining – As we get clear, it’s important to go deep into the body to understand what we were trying to avoid with ethanol.
- How We Get Hooked and How We Get Unhooked, a very good article by Pema Chodron
- You Have Power Over Your Brain Excellent work by brain scientist, Loretta Graziano Breuning, founder of the Inner Mammal Institute
- No Bullshit Guide to Meditation
- How to Train your Monkey Mind – a wonderful little video with Mingyur Rinpoche
- Headspace meditation app free trial
- Calm meditation app free trial
Surf the Urge – a great way to get present with those so called “cravings”.
- About Surfing the Urge G. Alan Marlatt on Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention
- Wholehearted Recovery handy list
- Urge Surfing – a great 8 minute audio from the University of Washington
- Riding the Wave: Using Mindfulness to Help Cope with Urges
- This Naked Mind Facebook Page. There is also a private group you can join.
- @ThisNakedMind on twitter
- This Naked Mind FREE 4-video course
- This Naked Mind Video Coaching Course
- Should you call yourself an alcoholic after you stopped drinking? Kevin O’Hara explains why you won’t.
- Annie Grace’s This Naked Mind YouTube channel – great videos where Annie answers common questions from people who are changing their lifestyles around ethanol.
- Alcohol Will Kill You – the truth about ethanol and your health – Just based on its title, a couple years ago I would have ignored this important documentary, as the facts did not agree with my lifestyle. It’s a sad commentary on how business runs our politics when the truth is squashed for the benefit of the industry and huge detriment to public health.
- Your Power to Re-wire your Happy Brain Chemicals
- Helpful Ted talk by Nasia Davos about stopping smoking that applies to all addictions.
- Don’t Be Fooled; It’s All in the Body a funky audio on “mining” by Scott Kiloby.
- Annie Grace’s This Naked Mind audio program