Here’s a list of books and links to get you started. There’s a huge universe of resources online. Be careful not to buy into the disease model of ethanol addiction; you are NOT powerless. I’ll be adding new resources often. Make sure to check out the Surf the Urge links. They’ll come in handy for sure! And don’t forget to meditate just a few minutes a day. You’ve got this.
and if you want to go all the way, here’s the risk-free 30-day video coaching.
I am happy to announce that I am an affiliate of Lee Davy’s The Truth About Alcohol.
Please use my links if you subscribe to his programs. He offers scholarships, and also has lots of free stuff.
- This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Rediscover Happiness & Change Your Life by Annie Grace
- Stop Drinking Now by Allen Carr
- Natural Rest for Addiction: A Revolutionary Way to Recover Through Presence by Scott Kiloby
- Kick the Drink … Easily by Jason Vale
- Mrs D Goes Without by Lotta Dann (haven’t read it but heard it’s funny and has a good blog.)
- Dry, A Memoir by the Running with Scissors guy, Augusten Burroughs.
- The Little Book of Big Change by Amy Johnson – this is a great little book that pulls it all together!
- FREE ebook of Craig Beck’s Alcohol Lied to Me
- No need to reinvent the wheel, when there’s a great list of books here at Soberistas
- Annie’s 30-day challenge – Join the Alcohol Experiment today!
- Lee Davy’s The Truth About Alcohol
- Alcohol Mastery.com, Kevin O’Hara’s sane look at ethanol addiction.
- Scott Kiloby on Mining – As we get clear, it’s important to go deep into the body to understand what we were trying to avoid with ethanol.
- How We Get Hooked and How We Get Unhooked, a very good article by Pema Chodron
- You Have Power Over Your Brain Excellent work by brain scientist, Loretta Graziano Breuning, founder of the Inner Mammal Institute
- Contraction: Thank You For Arising. I Love You. You Are Welcome to Stay by Scott Kiloby
- No Bullshit Guide to Meditation
- How to Train your Monkey Mind – a wonderful little video with Mingyur Rinpoche
- Headspace meditation app free trial
- Calm meditation app free trial
- The Science Behind Why Meditation Makes You So Much Happier – an infographic
Surf the Urge
- About Surfing the Urge G. Alan Marlatt on Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention
- Wholehearted Recovery handy list
- Urge Surfing – a great 8 minute audio from the University of Washington
- Riding the Wave: Using Mindfulness to Help Cope with Urges
- This Naked Mind Facebook Page. There is also a private group you can join.
- @ThisNakedMind on twitter
- This Naked Mind FREE 4-video course
- This Naked Mind Video Coaching Course
- Should you call yourself an alcoholic after you stopped drinking? Kevin O’Hara explains why you won’t.
- Annie Grace’s This Naked Mind YouTube channel – great videos where Annie answers common questions from people who are changing their lifestyles around ethanol.
- Alcohol Will Kill You – the truth about ethanol and your health – Just based on its title, a couple years ago I would have ignored this important documentary, as the facts did not agree with my lifestyle. It’s a sad commentary on how business runs our politics when the truth is squashed for the benefit of the industry and huge detriment to public health.
- Your Power to Re-wire your Happy Brain Chemicals
- Helpful Ted talk by Nasia Davos about stopping smoking that applies to all addictions.